HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - consistent groups
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2011, 12:38 PM
BGfisher
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jgarrett451
okay i have been practicing for quite some time. i mean i am shooting 6 inch groups at 60 yards but im not satisfied. its like that i cant break through some kind of wall. more than likely im not going to take a shot at a turkey or whitetail past 40 yards but you never know when you will have to.

Shooting 6" groups at 60 yards while on the practice range, while good, is not the same as being able to do so in a hunting situation. Adrenalin makes the brain go dead. The body gets the shakes. It might be cold and/or windy out. You have on heavier clothes. The animal can move while the arrow is in flight. There are lots of things that can happen, and probably will to mess up the shot.

You make a statement that "you never know when you will have to". You never "have to". You don't even have to take close shots. You are given a brain to help you make decisions. What decision you make is something you have to make. There is no such thing as "have to".

I would imagine as you get more years of hunting under your belt and experience with bowhunting you'll come to the realization that bowhunting is a close range sport and you'll learn this and choose your shots accordingly.