HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - First crossbow shooting experience started out as a disaster
Old 03-23-2011, 05:25 AM
rockytop
Nontypical Buck

Red face First crossbow shooting experience started out as a disaster

I was really excited about shooting my new Parker Hornet, did like the book said and put the target at 10 yards to start the sighting in process. I got a good brace and shot my first bolt ever and it was about 10 inches low and 2 inches left. I adjusted a little and shot again and was 6 inches low and 1 inch left. I made a large adjustment for the third shot and hit 1/2 inch high and 1/2 inch right. I figure that's close enough to progress to the 20 yard range. I went to get the bolts and for the first time I really read the words on the target, "BROADHEADS ONLY" and about the same time noticed the bolts were buried up to the flights. My next thoughts concerned the use of field tips instead of broadheads. Those bolts, with fieldtips, are still in that target and may be forever unless someone can tell me how to get them out. I got one of them grippers but couldn't get enough gription to budge them bolts. I tried some padded channel locks on one and that bolt is now history.
Refusing to give in, I went and found my 3 blade muzzies from my bowhunting days and installed them on my last 3 bolts. I simply turned the target 180 degrees to where I couldn't see the first 3 bolts and fired off my 2nd salvo of 3 bolts at 20 yards. Removing the bolts was easy and after some small adjustments I moved to 30 yards and dropped my aimpoint one circle and was dead on at 30 yards. I shot several groups and was amazed at the accuracy of my Parker Hornet. I was a little concerned about having to drop one aim point at 30 yards but I guess the cross bows have a little more arc than my old mathews. I ran out of daylight and didn't make any 40 yard shots but that's next and unless someone can tell me how to get them field tip bolts out, I'll be ordering some more bolts.