HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - The Joy Of Still Hunting
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2011, 03:12 PM
builder459
Nontypical Buck

Muley being from the west and considering the wide open terrain i hunt in, still hunting is very common. i still do a lot of it although i have incorporated variations into it. i do a lot more scouting prior to the season, which i feel is key to consistently taking deer, i also look for things that funnel deer, even in wide open country.i am 52 now now closing on 53 and put down a lot less boot leather, then when i was a younger man.good equipment such as large light weight pack, quality binos,good shooting stick also help.i don't drag my deer anymore, they are boned using the gutless method and packed out, unless of course the animal is close to my vehicle, which rarely happens lol. the mountains here in California are as steep as any i have hunted, including your state of Colorado,where i also once lived.hunting in other states requires a different style, which includes stand hunting.i know many people who stand hunt and spend countless hours afield, deciding the best area's to set up on.i suppose it's a matter of how one was taught to hunt and the type of country they hunt that dictate hunting styles. in the end all that matters is getting out and hunting along with ones family and friends and keeping the tradition alive. those who have never experienced something like sitting on the continental divide at day break and watching the sun come up and a herd of elk moving slowly across the mountain or sitting with your 9 year old eating peanut butter and honey sandwiches, glassing a canyon IMHO have not lived! Ray