HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Best Food Plot
Thread: Best Food Plot
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2011, 06:52 AM
Mojotex
Nontypical Buck

I do not have much experience with warm weather food plots, and what expereince that I do have with summer plots was not good. Drought beat us to death several years in a row, so we abandoned the effort. However the best summer crops we had as far as deer hitting them were soy beans, Iron Clay peas and cow peas, Lablab, and Wild Game Sorghum. We did not opt to use "Round UIp Ready" crops because of the initial cost of the seeds and the lack of any of us having HD spraying equipment.

Cool weather food plots have worked great for where I hunt ... SE Ala. Crops that have worked great has been a mix of Crimson clover, buck wheat, forage oats, Austrian winter peas, purple top turnips, and Elbon rye (a grain rye).

We experimented with a few of the nationally advertised food plot mixes, but none of these turned out to be any better at attracting game or creating vigorous food plots than a mix available locally at a farm supply store. And this mix cost less than 1/2 the cost/acre of the nationally advertised mixes. We did over seed with Crimson clover and turnips. I feel that this mix has been a boom for the deer and for attracting both deer and turkey from October through April.

What is wise to do is to is to have the soil tested and follow the directions as best that you can. The pH is a huge deal and critical to the quality of the crop, as is selecting the varieties that survive well in your particular area. Info from the state's agriculture university and/or your state's WGF folks should be available for little or no cost.