HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - POI left me wondering????
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2011, 04:07 PM
builder459
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by chetmarks
I did some shooting two days ago and then again today. Same rifle, same bullet ,same primer. The only difference was I used 777 pellets the first trip just to get it on paper and not spend a lot of time. I got the gun sighted in somewhat to where I wanted it. So today I decided to try the load that I had planned on using in the gun, providing of course it likes the load.My goal was to fine tune.
So everything was exactly the same except I used 120 gr 777 loose powder instead of 100 gr ( 2 pellets)
Bullet on a clean barrel was pretty much the same as the pellets. The next shots were lower but excellent group with holes touching. All shots at 100 yards.
I was sure that the POI would be higher with the 120 gr of loose than with the 2 pellets. As it turned out the shots were about 3 inches lower but like I said an excellent group.
The only reason I can think of that would cause the loose powder to have a lower POI was that I dehydrated the pellets for 2 hours at 120 degrees because they had been open for so long and my basement is exceptionally humid from the clothes dryer. The loose powder I did not dehydrate. Maybe the loose powder had lost some power or the pellets increased performance from the dehydrating.
Any of you guys have a theory?
The only way to find out if it was the dried pellets would be to try it again with pellets that haven't been dried. other than that the loose with that load, should have been hitting higher IMHO.. mysteries lol Ray