HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Very interesting finding!
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2011, 11:29 AM
builder459
Nontypical Buck

Default Very interesting finding!

I made a surprising finding this afternoon. while preparing my Triumph for it's test run using Bh209 instead of the usual 777 loose. knowing my breech plug flash channel should be 1/8 inch, i decided to run a 1/8 inch drill bit through it.mind you i take pride in keeping my weapons clean, soaking my breech plug after every session and using a pipe cleaner also.imagine my surprise when i tried a 1/8 bit and it did not fit down the channel. so i decided to try a 7/64 which is one step below 1/8. it indeed fit. after reading mention from Ronlaughlin regarding windex and vinegar, i pour a mixture of vinegar and windex in a small plastic dish and let it soak for about 10 minutes, which is what i usually do with the BP after a session with 777. only difference is i use windex/ ammonia. after the soaking i removed the BP and started with the 7/64, then followed with the 1/8 bit. it is now clean as a whistle.."for those of you out there using 777" the carbon buildup associated with BH209 can also happen with 777, this stuff was hard to remove with just a drill bit. i suggest everyone out there using 777 find the proper size bit and give it a try, in order to be sure that your BP does not have this nasty carbon buildup also.." Ron "was spot on with his suggestion of windex/vinegar for Bh 209 carbon build up. i would strongly suggest 777 users use this mixture and a drill bit also.. pure vineagar or a stronger 50/50 mix, seemed to work even better.. Ray