HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - good by Remington
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2011, 10:39 PM
vtgao
Banned

Default My 2-Cents

Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG
I dont know what exactly the #s are, but I gotta imagine remington produces and sells, more rifles and shotguns than most other companies, maybe combined??? I may be wrong, but it would seem to me, that this might factor into the amount of lemons they put out?

IMO ruger and TC are the most overrated brands out there . I owned a couple M77s and was not impressed with eithers accuracy, or fit/finsh, or rugers customer service. I sent a M77 back to them cause the trigger was like an 870s, they sent it back a month later "worked on", it was exactly the same. TC sidelock MLs are decent but the encore is a POS!

My only experiences w/ remington customer service was trivial, but good. I bought a used 700 adl years ago w/ the rear sight missing I called up R and they just asked my for the ser.# and sent me a new one free. They also sent me a free mag plug too once.

The nicest walnut stock I have ever bought was a 1100 trap model about 5 years ago, absolutely stunning shotgun , my 700 mtllss is the best looking, most accurate bolt action Ive ever owned.

If you want to pay for a little more quality, remington offers that, if you want a 300$ tupperware/spraypainted POS, they offer that too, you chose, but dont whine when you get what you pay for cause you aint getting any better for the $ anywhere else.

The walmarts around here dont sell guns so I wouldnt know.
Bob,

My apologies for the late reply,

Poll numbers mean nothing, the fact that more people on this site own Remingtons is the fact contributing factor as to why they lead the popularity poll on this site.
Here's a story to back up my one of my reasons for being a little more than suspect about Remingtons quality. A very good friend of mine, "Larry" a fellow FFL dealer and co-worker at the company that we both worked at for over 30 years ( Major computer chip mfr) in quality / reliability / product assurance engineering, went to Remington and took a gun smithing course offered by Remington at the time ( mid-late nineties?? can't remember the exact date). Larry has passed on now so he won't be of much help. Larry was offered a tour thru Rem.s customer service center, during his 2 or 3 week stay there. To say the least he was not impressed. As a matter of fact I don't believe he ever purchased another Remington after that for his own use and would do his most to make sure his customers would consider other mfrs before placing an order for a Remington thru him. And Larry never had a bad thing to say about just about any single Mfr, until he took this tour. And by the way, he enjoyed and excelled at the armorers course he took at Remington. He just was not impressed with the customer service area, for too many reasons to list here.

Remember that there is a difference between the number of lemons and the percentage of lemons.

IMO TC and Ruger quality and customer service are way above par. Perfect, who is? I am drawing off my experiences as well as other dealer I know of.

Where in my post did you feel I was whining?

And you are trying to convince me that you get what you pay for?!? Did you read the part that said I have a business that sells firearms?

I was giving my 2-cents worth, and for the record, I've owned, do currently own, have purchased and /or sold all of the firearms I mentioned in the original post. I do not make a greater commission or profit on one firearm or another. It comes down to the fact that I am basically lazy and don't like to take on "Service after the sale" any more than necessary.

You'll have to go back and research the posts where folks on this site and other sites for that matter, would spout off and talk about how much money they saved by purchasing their firearm or Muzzle-loader at Walmart versus a locale gun-shop.
As you have correctly stated, very few "Marts" including Wally-world are selling firearms these days. So I wonder who's providing service after the sale to all of those cost minded folks that got the deal at Walmart? Wally's gotten a little afraid of lawsuits!!!

Best Regards, GAO