HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Food Plot hunting???
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2011, 10:00 AM
BC Cowboy
Spike

Question Food Plot hunting???

Guys,

You have all had some very good advice in the past, so I am going to throw out another question... It may sound ridiculous, but it have been stuck on it for while...

Do you guys actually hunt on your food plots? Or do you hunt the trails coming into the plot?

I am planning on developing a couple plots (700 + acres of central BC farmland in which to make my plots) But i have never made food plots before. I have just always hunted the fields and water sources. I want to ensure the deer are getting all the minerals and nutrients they need, so i was planning a couple rackstacker mineral sites and then a couple acre or two food plots to try and keep the deer around all year (if i can keep the wolf population down...)

I have decided on the seed to use and the fertilizer (not new to farming by any means!!) But the placement of these plots and the placement of my tree stands and blinds i was a little unsure of... Hence my question, do you hunt the food plot itself...? I am concerned about the deer and elk getting wise to the food source and not coming into it after a year of hunting and hopefully successful hunting!

Thanks for any advice!