HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Broadheads for crossbows and different angles
Old 03-08-2011, 06:22 AM
Cossack
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rockytop
Being a newbie to crossbows, I'd like to know:
1. if my 100 gr 3 blade muzzies from my compound bow will work on my crossbow bolts?

That depends on your arrow and the speed of your bow. Personally, I get best results from arrows with high FOC (16-20%) short vanes (2" Fusion or Blazers) and low profile (short) 4-balded, fixed heads (Slick Tricks).

2. Will my hundred grain field points shoot different from the 100gr broadheads?

The combo mentioned above
gives me near identical point of impacts using either

3. Does shooting from high in a tree effect the bolt trajectory like it does regular arrows? In other words, do I need to practice from all different angles and heights?

Trajectory is affected by the HORIZONTAL distance to the target (base of three to deer) height has nothing to do with it...excepting the angle at which the arrow enters the target.

4. Does the limb saver stuff make a crossbow quiter? If not, what will?

Marginally. Most stuff added to limbs or string reduce arrow speed thus making it sound a tad quieter but not so a deer can't hear it. Crossbows are by their nature louder, learn to shoot at relaxed animals within a reasonable distance (-40 yards for me).

5. I'll find this out from practicing if the weather ever breaks but how about the trajectory of them bolts, and how many pins do I need to shoot out to 40 yards. I know that depends on several factors but I'm just talking generalities.

Hard to even generalize. Trajectory depends on the length of your arrow, it's weight and speed. Generally speaking a crossbow arrow falls faster than an arrow of the same weight shot from a
vert because the latter, being longer, has a higher ballistic coefficient.