HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New to upland bird hunting in NH
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2003, 01:40 PM
MA Jay

Default RE: New to upland bird hunting in NH

Hey Bug.

You' re posting here so you obviously know how to use the internet. Check the NH Fish and Game website for the pheasant locations they stock and try anyone of them. I was out Sunday and picked up a couple of birds .. but I use a dog. Just a suggestion, w/out a dog, hunt either Friday or first thing Saturday morning and you' ll have your best shot at a stocked bird. As far as grouse .. depends where you live. I personally like the Southwest corner of the state for birds. Slightly less densities but I' ve never bumped into another hunter. Paper lands up north are great and White Mountain National Forest has some birds as well. My tip for finding great grouse land .. look up registered tree farms. They are all over the state and you can legally hunt anyone of them even though they are private property...part of getting the tax break on the land. Plus all those clear cuts are grouse havens once they get 2 + years old. And without a dog the old scidder trails make a great way to access them and you' ll often kick up birds along them. Good luck.