HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Better Rifle?
Thread: Better Rifle?
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2011, 07:22 PM
turkeyward
Fork Horn

I spent a couple years researching and checking out lots of successfull hunters and 40 years of experience in the woods and 30 years guiding in one fashion or another. The best one gun I came up with is a 270WSM. You guys can do what you want to badmouth it but only an unexperienced person would or one who was just a fool. My wife took a full grown 6 point bull elk at 442 yards and crushed him. This gun is used for the family gun and the emergency client backup gun. It has killed at least 100 critters in its 6 years and has performed magnificently. To qualify it -- I'm a dyed in the wool big gun guy. I love the really big magnums but have to yield to the 270WSM as being the new best "ONE GUN" -- gun. I feel it passes the 30-06 for that purpose. If you are going bigger than deer then the 30-06 would have to get the nod. I truly feel the .243 is too small for a mature deer. As always shot placement is critical but with the .243 it is absolutely crucial. Those who know better - shoot better. Don't get me wrong, I like the .243 in the right situation but mature deer and anything bigger is just asking for trouble.