HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - bows...shooting question
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2011, 03:48 PM
Alpha Capo
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by LBR
Heavier poundage doesn't make you shoot faster arrows--lighter arrows do. If you are shooting 10 gpp, then you'll get the same trajectory from a 30# bow as a 70# bow, all else being equal.

but my guess is you are getting a better release and that's where the biggest difference is, unless you are using more gpp with the lighter bow.

Chad
i got my arrows for the 45# bow loaded up with 175 grain tips to get them to fly like darts...i didnt want to shoot a wimpy 1916 so yes i have a heavy arrow for that bow not sure of the actual grains. yes the Longhorn shoots much faster and flatter than the Atilla the way i have the bows matched with their setup/arrows.

Chad you and i both know that its impossible to Build a 300 grain arrow at say 29inch length for 10gpp out of a 30# bow and get it to fly right....youd have to use a easton redline or something. and then you have the fact that the lighter arrow will loose bunches of speed/momentum after about 15 yards or so down range. so no a 30# bow will never shoot as flat as a 70# bow in the real world.

also...im not gonna shoot a setup in 3-d that i wouldnt take hunting. im not really worried about winning a meet...just getting in some good practice. Im pretty efficient, and dont tire out very easy. i think i could shoot a 40 target shoot no problem.

i guess asking what guys use for 3-d was a bad thing to do....i figured guys were going out their with their hunting setups. Thats what i and most that i knew used to do with are compounds anyway...i guess i should ask what the farthest stake is that most shoots have.... At a compound shoot do you shoot from ladies or youth stakes say 25-30 yard max??? or you dont go to compound meets?? round here Trad meets are too far to travel just too do some shooting and not very often so a compound meet is my option. ive looked at the results for the local club and there are about 10 trad shooters

Last edited by Alpha Capo; 03-05-2011 at 05:09 PM.