HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Getting into Sheep Shape
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2011, 07:45 AM
nsdemit
Spike

Originally Posted by scottycoyote
i got back into working out in a gym last year, and i was really surprised how much the science has changed in strength and conditioning. In a lot of circles, cardio is getting really frowned upon....basically you burn calories but youre really just breaking down your system. You may want to look into tabata protocol training......its hard but i did have a lot of success in a short amount of time with it as far as conditioning goes. With my limited knowledge i think id recommend tabata, sprint training and some weights......and not so much the long drawn out cardio unless youre just trying to burn calories for the sake of burning them.

i will look into this.

i'll be coming from 900 ft elevtion to 9,000 plus ft. i want to prepare my body for the starin as best i can ahead of time. i'm going to arrive 3 days early and do some light hiking i think. to start to build up my bloods oxygen carrying capacity.

i want to avoid strength training so i don't bulk up. i want lean muscle. i was all pumped up before i went dall sheep hunting once and it whooped my butt for the first 4 days. after that it wasn't bad, but i pushed so hard i didn't have much left.

i do construction work, so i stay pretty lean. but i stand in place and use a shovel or lift heavy objects, that does nothing for my ability to make it cross country.

i like the idea about the bootcamp program. since i live in eastern kansas, i have no hills to hike. i have a treadmill, but i might get a gym membership to do the stair climber.

thanks for the ideas guys

Last edited by nsdemit; 03-05-2011 at 07:51 AM.