HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Wolves...Is it true?
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2011, 09:18 AM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Wisconsin ... I was reading the history of wolf problems in the State and it is a lot more then the DNR I think likes to admit to.

DNR estimates there are nearly 700 wolves in the state currently, a number that has grown in recent years including 2005 when the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service relisted wolves to endangered status. DNR wolf page
According to the report, total livestock depredation in 2010 included: 63 cattle killed (47 calves), 5 cattle injured, 6 sheep killed (4 lambs), 1 goat injured, and 6 farm deer killed. A total of 25 to 27 packs and 2 to 4 loners/dispersers were involved in depredation on livestock. Twenty-three of the depredating packs were detected in the previous winter and were 13% of the known packs in the state.
34 dogs attacked
Thirty-four cases of wolf depredations on dogs were detected during 2010, including 14 cases of wolf depredations on pet dogs near homes, and 20 cases of depredations on dogs in hunting and training situations, DNR reported. total of 24 dogs were killed and 14 were injured by wolves by 21 different packs (12% of packs in the state in 2010) and 1 loner/disperser. Among hunting dogs 19 were killed and 4 were injured (including 1 bird dog), and among pet dogs, 6 were killed and 10 were injured.
Funny part is that when the wolves first showed up, we complained to the DNR that this is exactly what would happen and they told us we were "blowing it out of proportion." They told us the wolves came over from Minnesota (thanks a lot guys) but I believe they were planted. As they were suddenly in our area, in some number.