HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - good by Remington
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2011, 06:56 PM
Colorado Luckydog
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MinnFinn
I used to think their model 700's were great rifles. Then I heard the designer (now retired) of that rifle admit that there has been a known problem with a certain % of these rifles safety mechanisms from nearly the start. When the safety is pushed of the rifle has fired without any pressure or even touching the trigger in a certain % of the rifles. No way to tell which might do this, until it happens. (I know, you've never had it happen with yours. But all it takes is a small % that do and a tragedy is just around the corner.)
It may be a small % of the rifles that have this problem. But I'd hate to end up with one that does. Remington's top Exec under tremendous pressure and evidence finally admitted in legal deposition that this is true. Their solution... a campaign to never point the rifle in a direction that might shoot someone. Duhhh! Of course, but you never want a firearm to discharge on it's own either!!
Remington never recalled the 700 models safety assemblies, because the cost to do so has gone from what would originally been a few cents parts + labor 40-50 years ago to several hundred $ per rifle now. Trying to cover up problems and hope no one notices never is the right choice.
This sounds totally believable??? I bet you can produce tons of links and news articles to back it up?? What did you say the guys name was? How much did he have to drink? How much did you have to drink? I call bull crap on this story!! LM*AO!!

Last edited by JW; 03-04-2011 at 07:00 AM.