HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Better Rifle?
Thread: Better Rifle?
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2011, 01:33 PM
infmphunter
Spike

Originally Posted by skb2706
Personally I believe you need the complete set of .308 based guns. Two just won't do. The .243 for the smaller of the big beasts, .260 Remington (my favorite) for the next step up, definitely a 7-08 for the larger deer and such, .308 for elk and then who knows.
Doesn't that always seem like the natural progression? You sit down and think about just ONE rifle, and you think well a .308 can knock 'em all down, the ammo is available and on the cheaper end, so I can use it for a plinking gun too, I'm set. Then you start to think about it and say well those 150 grain bullets might really tear up an antelope and for them and mulies I don't need anything too big for them, so let me try a .243(or in my case .25-06 is something I really want when I start reloading), then you say well now I got nothing in between the light .243 and the .308...I need that .260 to fill in the gap. Then you start thinking well now that I'm reloading I should check out a .30-06. I always wanted a Garand and it's such a classic round. THEN you think well what if I need some extra punch some day? A .300 win mag would really reach out and touch 'em and it couldn't hurt to have one.

I swear I'm not addicted, I can stop any time I want. I just don't wanna stop.