HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Getting into Sheep Shape
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2011, 12:11 PM
Jeff Ovington
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by scottycoyote
i got back into working out in a gym last year, and i was really surprised how much the science has changed in strength and conditioning. In a lot of circles, cardio is getting really frowned upon....basically you burn calories but youre really just breaking down your system. You may want to look into tabata protocol training......its hard but i did have a lot of success in a short amount of time with it as far as conditioning goes. With my limited knowledge i think id recommend tabata, sprint training and some weights......and not so much the long drawn out cardio unless youre just trying to burn calories for the sake of burning them.
Sheep hunting is all about burning calories and living off the bare min
food to get it.You are breaking down your system hunting sheep.Mental training and meditation are good things to practice no doubt. But this hunting is hunting lifting packing carrying moving climbing, packing heavy weight, bending crawling, all in adverse weather conditions, using different muscles from different loaction of your body.Its cardio fitness to the extreme. Limited amount of food limited amount of water and combined with an endless body workout.Your body has to get used to min calorie intake and extreme phyical workout.You have to train your body to do this.
Not sure if this Tabata thing you suggest does this but it's required.

Last edited by Jeff Ovington; 02-28-2011 at 12:27 PM.