HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - carry weapon and thinking out side my own head
Old 02-21-2011, 12:23 PM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

I really don't mean to keep rambling on this thread, but MAN you pack a lot into each of your posts, so I wanted to comment on just one more thing.

Unless you will be outside and wearing your jacket the ENTIRE TIME, shoulder holsters don't work. If you're going somewhere indoors, it's going to be awkward that you keep your jacket on, and if you OPEN your jacket, it can pretty easily be spotted.

The downfall to being spotted, at least in some states, is that it's a citation, and possible suspension of your CCWP. AT BEST, if someone spots your weapon, it's going to make for an awkward atmosphere. I have had my cover blown TWICE (both while carrying a Glock 19 compact 9mm under a coat). Instead of confronting me, the people contacted the police with my description, and then I was later stopped, handcuffed, and questioned. The first time I was taken "downtown" before everything was cleared up. So unless you like wasting time and like having being on the local police "$hit list", or like paying fines, then I'd recommend keeping your weapon appropriately concealed.

I DO have a shoulder rig for my Kel-Tec (MICRO PISTOL!!) that hides the pistol to the side and below my peck muscle and is small enough that, with a little added duct tape, can be used under a T-shirt, but in general, shoulder rigs just sound good in theory.

Under an open jacket, I MUCH prefer a small of the back rig to a shoulder rig.

If you're just hunting or fishing, then I don't really see the reason to conceal at all? If you're on a large/public lake with other people around, then no, being "kind of concealed" isn't going to cut it. The law here in KS is OPEN, or COVERED, anything in between is a fine, even for permited carriers. Either hang it on your hip, or hide it.

But at the end of the day, it's pretty rare that a shoulder rig works. Make a plan that will work even in a T-shirt and jeans and stick with it, even in the cold.

Last edited by Nomercy448; 02-21-2011 at 12:35 PM.