HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Dealing with Nocturnal Deer
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2011, 05:49 AM
ropadop
Fork Horn

If deer are bedded, then the only way to get them out of their beds is by driving them out with dogs or drivers. However, most deer are not completely nocturnal, although they seem to be. They are just not moving where you are hunting them during daylight. Over the past few years, trail cameras have taught me that a lot of the sign like heavy trails and scrapes are made at night. I would hunt this sign, wondering why I wasn't seeing many deer. You have to get closer to bedding areas to catch the deer on their feet during shooting hours. Hunting close to bedding areas, in "staging areas" leading to food sources can be effective throughout the season if you can get in undetected. In some big woods, this can be frustrating because food sources and even bedding areas are not localized. Some areas are just harder to hunt than others, so you have to keep looking for new opportunities. I like to scout this time of year for new areas before green up. That being said, I concentrate my hunting in late October and early November in PA and OH because bucks will cruise for does at any time during the day if the weather is not too hot. Most big bucks are the most vulnerable during this time.