HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - .300 Win. Mag. or .300 WBY Mag.?
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2011, 10:51 AM
salukipv1
Giant Nontypical

What's to worry about?

It's either going to happen or not, and if it does you probably won't even know it, a fellow hunter will say, "you're bleeding"

A quality scope with good eye relief will help.

Originally Posted by schoolcraft
OK. I think I'm scratching the .300 WBY off the list.

The thing that hangs me up about going bigger on caliber isn't RECOIL. I can take a big pop without flinching. Even as a little kid, recoil never really bothered me enough to make me less accurate.

What DOES bother me is "scope cut".

I don't really know why, but I've always had a fear of getting caught over the eye with the scope during recoil. It's never even happened. The closest was a Ruger No. 1 in .300 Win. Mag. that the scope touched my eyebrow during recoil.

It really irritates me because I feel like I'm limiting myself as to the level of calibers I can shoot.

I would have no problem/fear of shooting a buffalo/elephant rifle provided that it had open sights......meaning that recoil isn't the issue.

Can anyone else relate to what I'm saying? Being a little afraid of going up in caliber because of the "scope cut" issue?

May sound stupid to most, but I really want to find a way to conqure this issue.
If this wasn't and issue, I would probably be having this rifle built on a .300 RUM