HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 6mm br what u think about it?
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2011, 09:18 PM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountryextreme
I am tore between that and 6.5-284. I can get better BC's out of the 6.5. I like this cartridge myself.
The 6BR and the 6.5x.284 are designed for different tasks, and perform their best in different walks. The 6br is a SWEET recoiling 0-600yrd rifle, and affirming itself as one of the top choices for 300yrd competitors (free-recoil). The heavier 6.5-.284, on the other hand, is carving out it's niche in 600-1,000yrd matches. A lot of guys DO use a 6br for long range matches, but it's hard to argue that the heavier bullets of the 6.5mm with such high BC's have their advantages in the wind. Especially for F-class shooting where the marking/scoring of targets after each match complicates the wind contributions.

I have a savage custom action switch barrel rig in 6.5-.284 that performs incredibly well. I've only fired a 6br a few times, and definitely appreciated being able to shoot free-recoil.

I think it'd be hard to go wrong with either, but the 6BR definitely has it's advantages for the shooter, the 6.5 for the wind...