HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Need A New Gun
Thread: Need A New Gun
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2011, 06:39 PM
hawkman0206
Spike

Default Need A New Gun

Hey guys,
This is my first post here, so I just wanted to let you know I love the site and it feels good to finally become a member. That being said, I have a need for a new big game rifle. My brother and I, along with a few friends plan on taking our first elk trip to Montana next year and I wanted to start to get my ducks in a row. I am from Iowa, so I just have a 12 and 20 gauge and a .22. Needless to say, I need a rifle to accomodate this trip. I have been looking for a gun that will be great for elk, but could accomodate deer as well. I have been looking at the .30-06, it seems to have a pretty good reputation for elk and that will be it's primary objective. So, my question comes in two parts:
A. Is this going to be a good elk gun?
B. Who makes the best left handed model for $600 tops, I don't want to break the bank, yet I want very good and very functional. I've been looking at the Savage 110. Is this a good option?
Thanks for the help guys and remember that it if you have any other ideas for a good calibur or a good gun, please let me know! Steve.