HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Excellent example of a Working Bullet...
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2011, 06:45 PM
sabotloader
Boone & Crockett

Default Excellent example of a Working Bullet...

Some authorities do not believe that a bullet can not cause a 'Hydrostatic Shock' or Hydraulic Shock as I call it, to the organs of the body as the bullet passes through. It is really not the size of the mushroom that cause this function, but more the speed of the projectile and the movement of fluid it causes in a fluid atmosphere (Hydraulic Movement of a heavy fluid).

Hydrostatic shock or hydraulic shock describes the observation that a penetrating projectile can produce remote wounding and incapacitating effects in living targets, in addition to local effects in tissue caused by direct impact, through a hydraulic effect in liquid-filled tissues.[1][2] There is scientific evidence that hydrostatic shock can produce remote neural damage and produce incapacitation more quickly than blood loss effects.[3] Proponents of bullets that are "light and fast" versus bullets that are "slow and heavy" often refer to this phenomenon.
GM54-120 found a perfect example, a video of a bullet passing through a special ballistic gell. He posted this video as a way to show the effects of the bullet spinning through the jell - to me the expansion of the material shows an exceelent example of 'Hydraulics in a heavy fluid'. This action cause the rupture of the blood vessels and even the organ in most cases creating a serious shock to the animal. The greater the shock the better chance ti will over-ride the animals flight response.

Thanks Scott:

Look at this video and I think it will really be obvious the bullets can cause Hydrostatic/Hydraulic Shock. Just click on the picture to see the video...

Last edited by sabotloader; 02-08-2011 at 06:48 PM.