HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Seating Barnes expander after 1st shot
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2011, 08:00 PM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Northport buckslayr
I am new to MLers and just got my first one a few weeks ago, an Optima . I tried the 300grain Barnes Expander and can get 3 shots within a few inches of each other with open sights at fifty yards(100 grains 777 pellets).
My question is by looking at the ramrod I can tell that every shot after the first one is seating about a full inch higher than the first shot. I have pressed with everything I got but I cant get them down any further. I have been running a wet patch between shots, maybe I need to run a wet and dry patch? Is it possible I am getting that much gunk from the 777 that the bullet cant go down any further? It doesnt seem to be effecting ignition or accuracy.Any thoughts from black powder vets?
You need to swab better. What you're doing is actually dangerous. When you swab, get some Windex or in my case I mix 50/50 windshield wiper fluid and isopropyl alcohol. I dampen a patch and work in short segments down the barrel. When you feel the crud ring, work in even shorter segments. Also do not advance down the barrel until you have scrubbed the area your at, clean. After you reach the bottom, give it a good scrubbing.

Now pull that patch and flip it over and swab the bore all over again. It should swab easy. Now a dry patch and again, in short segments work that bore over. I like to use two dry patches. They will be the next wet patch for me. You want that bore clean.

Also another problem that you might be facing is the quality of the ramrod that comes with the rifle. Get a good stiff range rod. And when you load it, put a witness mark on it when the rifle is loaded. By witness mark, I take a piece of masking tape and wrap it around the ramrod level to the muzzle of the barrel. The next time you load, you should reach that same mark.

Try swabbing better, and get a range rod. It will save on your rifle rod.