HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - TC Hawken vs. Renegade
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2011, 08:54 AM
Semisane
Boone & Crockett

Any tips for a first time PRB session? I bought the Hornady lube and wonder if you lube the patch right before loading or at home before you go out?
Either way is fine Josmund. I've been using olive oil for a patch lube for the last year or two, and generally lube a supply of patches at the beginning of a range session.

Personally, I don't care for lubing right before loading each shot for two reasons; (1) by lubing a stack ahead of time you can clean your hands of lube and not have to wipe lube off of your fingers each time you load, and (2) lubing ahead of time gives the lube time to saturate the patch throughly and evenly.

I grab a stack of however many patches I expect to use (plus a little more) and saturate them with the lube, massaging them with my fingers to get them well saturated. Then I wrap the stack in a couple of paper towels and squeeze the heck out of them so the towels soak up all of the excess oil and the patches feel almost dry. They will have sufficient lube yet be pleasant to handle when loading.

Last edited by Semisane; 02-06-2011 at 11:53 AM.