HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 30-30 Pistol Bullet Choice???
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2011, 09:15 PM
grizzly 2
Fork Horn

I know what you mean, the spitzers do look alot better. That's right, I forgot it was a hollowpoint. Never did use it because Illinois wont allow the 30-30 for deer in pistol or rifle . Occassionly I'd take an old 26"octagonal barreled commemorative out coyote hunting, but I think she's sighted in now for a standard flat nose bullet. Used to use it for a steel buffalo shoot where we used the sillouete targets and a homemade buffalo target all at 200 yards and varied positions. I loved the 200 yard chicken from the standing position. I was using a 165gr spitzer pushed as hard as I dared. A gunsmith friend told me to quit listening to the magazine articles and back the load off before I stretched the winchester and ruined my headspaceing if I remember right.

You might want to pick up one of those walking sticks with the cradle on the top. I found it valuable for steading my 7 1/2 blackhawk hunter when I didnt have something to lean against, and I remember shooting the contenders offhand at the Masters years ago at 75 and 100 yards. I think that was the toughest part of the long range event. Oh, and dont ever be tempted to shoot that thing one handed???? I did once at 100 yards, hit the target and never wanted to do it ever again, but I had to know if I could do it again; Yup, one more time, hit it and believe me, never again....