HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - took a different rout on the GPR finish
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2011, 10:22 AM
MountainDevil54
Banned

Mainly showing the stock redo in this picture. 5 coats LMF Honey Maple, an assortment of hand rubbed and sprayed on truoil finish that was then buffed to a antique shine using 0000 steel wool soaked in linseed oil so i wouldnt cut through the truoil.

The barrel i did last night and invested almost 4 hours of time into it. My fingers are split open and hurting, burned my finger after heating the barrel up afterward prior to oiling. But it was all done with love so i dont mind.

Spent 45 minutes wrapping the barrel up with thin cotton string, filled a spray bottle with bleach and gave the string a good soaking. A total of 1 hour 20 minutes for the final look. Its really hard to tell due to the camera flash but the barrel is actually a gray-blue. I like the tiger finish on the barrel.

The lock i used 220 grit sand paper to rough up the surface and also left some of the color case on the hammer here and there to give it a worn - well used look. The lock took about 40 minutes with a heavy coat of bleach.

Going to finish up the rest of the metal trim later tonight and then take a look at the under rib to see what material i can remove to lighten up the front end on this rifle.