HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Not a single buck on trail cam after hunting season
Old 02-02-2011, 07:05 AM
Stonewall308
Typical Buck

Default Not a single buck on trail cam after hunting season

Hey, I got a trail cam for christmas and put it out after hunting season was over. On the hunting property this season I saw more bucks than I've ever seen while hunting before (which is to say I saw 4, not a lot but I've gone many years without seeing a single buck), however Ive gotten over 1100 pictures on my trail cam after the season was over without a single picture of a buck.

I know for a fact that two of the bucks I saw during the season were shot by other hunters, and I shot one myself. I also have no way of knowing the total number of bucks shot this year. The question is, is there a chance we completely decimated the population of bucks? Is there a chance it is only going to be does and yearlings next year? If there are no bucks left or very few, can we count on other bucks moving their home range to include this property?

The property is roughly 700 acres.

Also, the 1100 pictures were between January 5 and 20th in Northern Virginia, so I don't think they dropped their antlers yet and none of the deer in the pictures appeared to be bucks with dropped antlers.

Last edited by Stonewall308; 02-02-2011 at 07:09 AM.