HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - tipping a guide
Thread: tipping a guide
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2011, 03:56 PM
TwoBear
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Nitro.Bass
Here's my issue with tipping guides, and those of you who are guides take no offense, or feel free to, it's up to you. Whether I pay $250 a day for you to take me fishing on Lake Fork Texas or $4000 for you to work to find me a good Elk or whatever, that's the agreed amount for the service. To expect a gratuity is just not right. If I choose, so be it, but I rarely choose to do so unless something was exceedingly above my expectations for what I have already paid.
I don't know a single guide that operates under the "expectation" of a tip. Almost every guide from day one in the field is instructed to never expect a tip, if they don't get one, thats no dissappointment, if they do, it is greatly appreciated. It's kind of an 'insider" philosophy in guide circles. I posted the 15% to cover guides/wranglers/cooks, as an industry norm, not as a requirement. If we go back and look at the last 200 clients, thats were the percentages would fall. I don't have those numbers frankly, nor do I track such things, I'm just pushing out the industry norm.