HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - tipping a guide
Thread: tipping a guide
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2011, 11:39 AM
beech18
Fork Horn

Tips shouldnt have a standard %. I believe a % shouldnt dicate a tip, the guy who saves for years to go on a hunt is expected to give a big tip is outragous. I dont see that being fair, to that guy who works his butt off to go on a hunt like that a 100.00-200.00 could mean a good tip for him and wouldnt meet the % he is suppose to tip. I think its up to the person and what they feel is right accordingly to what they can afford. The biggest factor does the guide even deserve a tip? The outfitter should pay there guides a fair honest wage and not rely on tips as part of there wage, if the outfitter cant afford to give more money in wages keeping a good guide they should raise there hunt prices to cover there guide wages. Tips are meant for a good job done and appiracation, but should not be expected. Prices on hunts range widely. A wilderness elk hunt could go for 4000.00 bucks and a private land hunt could go for 6000 for example purporses. Odds are the guide is going to have to work his butt off on the wilderness hunt and the private land hunt he might be able to drive around in the truck. If the set % is a standard in the industry, why should the guy going around in the truck get more of a tip than the guide hunting in a back country hunt, just because the price of the hunt says so? Do I believe in tips, yes, not by a % of the hunt cost. I believe in what the hunter himself thinks is fair.