HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - tipping a guide
Thread: tipping a guide
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2011, 07:41 AM
TwoBear
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by finnbear
I have to agree with Bob....some poor guy works and scrimps and saves for five years to book a $4/5,000 hunt, is going to be hard pressed to come up with $500.00 more for a tip....this tipping idea has gotten totally out of hand!!! I saw on the web around christmas time the people that were expectin tips....teachers, mailmen, minimart attendants and garbage collectors...wheres it going to stop??? and this idea that there is a expected minimum is just a big pile of BS!!!!!
Tips are not required no matter what some folks tell U!!!! If I get good service at a resturant I will leave a tip... but if I get crappy service I will let my displeasure be shown by leaviing no tip!!! I think that tips are for service abouve and beyond their daily duties!!!! if they just do their jobs and add no little extra service, then a tip is not needed!!!
In all honesty Finn, everybody tips worthy guides, and they have been for decades. I didn't comment on the right/wrong, this and that of tipping, I simply answered the mans question. As near as I could tell, he wasn't asking for opinions on whether or not a tip was right, he was asking for an amount.

Bob: The industry standard is established by a history of normal averages over a period of years. Nobody is requiring a minumum tip, it is simply a bench mark or starting point to go up or down depending on the hunters evaluation of his guide. BTW, I tip 20% eating out, if the waiter/waitress is good.