HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Taking the hunter's safety course.
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2011, 07:15 AM
okieshooter
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Jeff Ovington
Well if a parent does not have time to teach the kid to shoot where the heck, should the kid learn to shoot. You just expect the parent to dump the kid in the woods and learn on a wim, on a live animal?
Remember the parent doesn't have time, and you figure they should not learn from the safety course.This makes alot of sense.Seems someones or more likely some animal, is getting the ****ty end of the stick, when I think about your way. Thankfully in British Columbia. you can only get your lifetime Hunting Number Permit through the Conservation and Outdoor Recreation Education Course. Much more entailed than just safety.
Your way sucks ****.

If the parent does not have 30 minutes maybe they should not have the kids to start with. Dump a kid in the woods? Where did I say that? They should not be in the woods period without an adult if they have no experience, safety course or not. How does your course teach them to deal with buck fever? In my opinion that is one of the most dangerous things in the woods. My son hunted with me by his side until he was 13. He killed his first deer laying on my back and me holding the gun and aiming for him while he pulled the trigger. He was 3 years old. I know some live in non hunting families and in such case should have a mentor. A course will NOT guarantee anyone to be safe for a lifetime, hell anyone can make a mistake. I could go on but I won't. I am just glad you are happy with your laws and I am glad I am not in the woods with a bunch of kids that took a course and got turned loose in the woods. I know several kids here that got a lifetime license for their 1st birthday.