HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Friend' s Ten Point
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2003, 10:43 PM
6.5 CARCANO

Default Friend' s Ten Point

A friend of mine shot a big ten point this evening at about 5 PM. He trailed it about a 100 yards then decided to come see if he could catch me coming out from hunting, well we went back to where he shot it and he showed me where the deer was standing when he shot it and here' s what I could get from him he said the buck lunged forward when the arrow hit and the buck run about ten yards and stopped right then the buck that had come up with the buck he shot tuck off running and the buck he shot jumped and ran again about ten yards stopped and looked like it as licking it' s side then tuck off running again out of site.
He wonted me to help track it because it his first big buck and the fifth he' s ever shot and the first that made it out of site before hitting the dirt
Here' s what I found, there was dark blood but it had kind of a pinkish look to it right under where he said the buck was standing light but essay to trail blood trail to where the buck stopped the first time where the buck stopped the first time there was a puddle of blood about the size of both your hands put to gather same way to and at the next place the buck stopped. about every 30 yards there would be puddle of blood and in between the blood trail was good tracking but light. we got to where he had stopped tracking around 7:40 PM and he wonted to start trailing the buck but I told him I thought It would be better to come back in the morning and try to trail it nether one of us know what the weather was going to be like in the morning but when I got home I checked and it said 40 percent chance of thunder storms and it' s cloudy out now.
any way the arrow was a pass through and looked like it had alot of fat and blood on it the broad head quite a bit of meat in the cutouts on the blades... {it didn' t look like a gut hit no watery spots} {I' m thanking maybe a possible liver hit?}

I' ve tracked many of deer' s but this is the first one for anybody other then family. and my friend was so hyper he could barely tell me what had happen so I didn' t have much to go on but what I seen almost all he could say was it had about 18 in spread and 12 inch tines and was a ten point.

I got two questions 1 where do you thank he hit the deer and 2 do you think " I" did the right thing having him hold tell tomorrow and not going after right then and there not knowing the weather ? because If he loses the deer he' s going to hate me.

P.s the buck was broad side at 20 yards