HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 1st MLer! does anyone know what grain bullet I am shooting?
Old 01-13-2011, 03:57 PM
hometheaterman
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
The new Powerbelt Aerolites are awesome for retaining weight. The older ones shoot excellent but can shed weight pretty quickly, i use them all and dont have any fear of losing an animal.

Someone here just shot a deer with a barnes and didnt get a blood trail, along with another using a Speer gold dot and not getting a blood trail.
I've not used the new Powerbelt Aerolites, so I can't comment on them. The problem I had with the old ones though wasn't that they fragmented on me, although I know they will if pushed too hard and at close ranges. My problem with them was that they didn't offer good penetration. I only got one pass through on the deer I shot and it was a very small doe. The rest didn't pass through, and most including the above doe didn't leave a good blood trail.

I'm not sure about the thread on the Speer not leaving a blood trail. I will have to read that one as I've not read it yet. However the one about the Barnes not leaving a blood trail was a guy that shot a deer and it dropped in it's tracks. As mentioned in that thread, the deer didn't live long enough for it to pump out blood, and it didn't run which is why there was no blood trail. I strongly suspect it would have been a totally different story had the deer lived long enough to run off.

I shot a couple of deer with Powerbelts and all were near perfect hits other than the one I didn't find. I suspect it was a good hit, but couldn't verify it. All ran off after being shot. One I knocked down and he got up and ran off. I searched for hours and never found him and only a drop of blood where he had rubbed up against a tree. The rest I did find, but 2 of them didn't have a blood trail at all including the doe I did get a pass through on. The one that did have a blood trail, something happened where the bullet hit the shoulder bone and left an entrance hole about the size of a baseball. It didn't exit, but did leave a good blood trail.