HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - any hint for a beginner?
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2011, 11:54 AM
hnt4food
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Sheridan
The most important point is you need to be set-up where THEY WANT TO BE !

The rest of the stuff doesn't matter "as much".....................

Scout them, like any other animal you would hunt.
Right on there. And remember, if you know how to use your call but don't know when to use your call, then don't use your call. If ducks are coming at you, just shut up and let them come. To much calling is worse no calling at all. As far as decoy placement goes there are so many ways to do it. What I tend to do is scout real good and watch what the local ducks are doing. If they are in groups of 2 or 3 and just kind of hanging around the shorelines out to 20 yards or so off shore, then do the same with the decoys. If the ducks are in large, tight , flocks then replicate that with the decoys. Also remember that the later it gets in the season the tougher it can be. By late season most of the ducks still around have been shot at more then once and can be a little more reluctant to just drop into your set. Early in the season I put out 1 - 6 woodducks and a couple mallards. That's all, and it works great. The best thing you can do is scout, scout, scout, and keep yourself camoflagued. Keep all your motions to a minimum because them buggers will spot the slightest motion from a long way off. Watch and listen to the local birds, they will tell you how and when to call, where to be, and how to set up decoys. If the birds are regularly using a specific pond, stream or field, then decoys might not even be necessary. Just put the wind at your back or to your side and let the birds do their thing.
Here is a little video of one of my setups. Not the greatest video but it might give you some idea of just how simple it can be.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etPwPDcloc8
Good luck and happy hunting.