HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Best .22 semi-auto rifle?
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2003, 01:38 PM
driftrider
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best .22 semi-auto rifle?

I highly recommend the Ruger 10/22. I' ve had the standard grade carbine version for years and it' s never let me down. One thing I really appreciate about it is its compact size and low weight. It' s a great rifle for toting around the thicker woods looking for squirrels. It is easily maneuvered in close quarters and carrying it around all day without a sling isn' t a chore. If you want a real nice looking, tack driving version, Ruger makes a version of the 10/22 with a very sharp looking spiral hammer forged bull barrel and laminate stock and I THINK it also has a better trigger. I think this high-end version sells for in the ballpark of $300-350, which isn' t too bad for what you get.

I' ve also found it to be a very accurate and reliable rifle if you feed it the right ammo. My 10/22 likes only high velocity rounds and really likes copper plated bullets. I' ve found that the Winchester Super-X high velocity .22LR loads are the best and it' s never malfunctioned with them. The 10/22 is also great if you ever feel like customizing it to your liking. Aftermarket support for the 10/22 is great so it' s very easy to get trigger upgrades, aftermarket barrels, stocks, and such. I' ve found that my 10/22 is great without any of the fancy upgrades, but the option is always there.

One can' t go wrong with the 10/22. And heed the warning about the Remington 597. It is the biggest POS autoloading .22LR I' ve ever seen. Every person I' ve ever met who' s owned one says that reliability is crap. I don' t quite know what Remington was thinking when they introduced the 597, but it' s a rifle to be avoided at all costs. I think it only sells at all because of Remington' s otherwise good name.

Mike