HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hi-point firearm ?
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2011, 10:35 AM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

Two of my best high school buddies went to college together to become LEO's, while I went to another college. They called me freshman year and said they had bought a pair of pistols, a .380auto for $90 and a 9mm for $110, and they had picked up a 9mm carbine for me (because they knew how much I liked my Kel-Tec .40S&W carbine) for only $120. They didn't tell me what brand they were until we hooked up that hunting season, and I was surprised and disappointed that they had bought the Hi-points, but in the end, they turned out to be at least worth owning.

Like the other guys have mentioned, they're big and ugly, and they're NOT good for CCW, but they have a purpose. High volume plinking on a budget. The only thing I didn't like about them for general shooting was that they're poorly balanced, but those 2 guys still have their High Point pistols in the safe at home, and to my knowledge, have never had any issue. They bought them so they could practice shooting for their future qualifications, but they couldn't afford the 1911's and glocks I was shooting.

In the hand, they felt more like a really poorly made Ruger P-series, there was a lot of slack in the slide, and the triggers were terrible, but they shot surprisingly accurately. For a cheap gun to take to the range and abuse, it's hard to beat for that price.

The Carbine I had was a blast to shoot. It was big and ugly, and obviously cheaply designed, but it went BANG every time I pulled the trigger. It was a little less manueverable and a little less accurate than the Kel-Tec model, and I prefered that the Kel-Tec accepted Glock Magazines (more readily available than Hi-Point Mags).

The thing I liked about those guns was that for $90, who cares what happens to it? We shot the guts out of those guns, sometimes 1,000 rounds a week for months at a time, and they just kept going BANG.

I wouldn't recommend them, but if it's really all you can afford, then you could do worse.