HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - My turkey vest.... what's in yours?
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2011, 09:21 AM
turkey guide
Fork Horn

Default All I need

I try and travel light. Besides my full cammo suit, my tag, my loaded gun, and my box call, and that's all I need. Usually though I'm within sight of my truck and only out an hour or so at a time. I really don't have to go any farther than just legally off the roadway to call and kill turkeys. But if I decide to hunt a flock way back on my place, I could walk a mile and a quarter from my truck. So my gear could encompass my fanny pack with ammo, toilet paper and snacks, my padded seat, and an old camouflage poncho from my military days, and a separate bag with a flock of feather flex decoys, and that's all I need. And my binoculars! And that's all I need! And a mushroom bag!

It also depends on who's hunting with me. If I'm guiding someone, I sometimes become a pack animal carrying blinds and gear that no one needs. If I'm hunting alone and not having good luck locating birds,I will lose interest and begin mushroom hunting as soon as it's good and light, about 7:30 or 8. I have plenty of time to turkey hunt, but morels, unlike diamonds, are not forever, and can net me 3-400 dollars per day in sales. Plus some mighty fine meals at home. So then, I stash extra gear and go back to my loaded shotgun, box call, and mushroom bags, and turkey tag. Because I can't turkey hunt without finding mushrooms, and can't mushroom hunt without finding turkeys, I switch back and forth.