HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - grizzly gun
Thread: grizzly gun
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2011, 07:00 AM
Big Uncle
Nontypical Buck

[QUOTE=statjunk;3753947]

Your response about custom rifles being build on a Remington action couldn't be more misguided. When the Remington action is used for a custom build, by the end it couldn't be anything further from a factory produced Remington. Heck it may as well have started it's life as a hunk of metal. There is nothing Remington left in the thing. The real reason folk use them as the foundation of a build is price.
If I had to point to anything about a Remington that steams my bean bag is the welded on bolt handles and the terrible extractors./QUOTE]

Your apparent dislike of Remington is a personal opinion that I respect. However, I take exception to the comments about building on Remington actions. My opinion is that the 700 action is the best non-custom action for building accurate rifles, and that the only ones better are custom 700 based actions. I have seen very good and accurate target rifles built on Winchester actions too, just not very many. I guess we all have different opinions and experiences.
The extractor on a 700 is very good and reliable. I have never seen one fail (although some internet teenager probably has). I do use crf actions on all of my DGRs, as ANY push feed is more likely to jam than a good crf. I have never seen or heard of a 700 bolt handle problem, but certainly some "expert" on an internet forum somewhere has reported this as a problem.
Lets not start a keyboard battle on this issue, but this type of bias goes too far.