HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Tea Party Congressmen Hire Lobbyists
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2011, 05:48 AM
falcon
Boone & Crockett

Default Tea Party Congressmen Hire Lobbyists

Yep, we heard all that wonderful rhetoric during their campaigns. Now that they have been elected to congress, Rand Paul and lots of other Tea Partiers have hired lobbyists on their staffs.

How silly of me; the Republicans never promised to drain the swamp.

http://www.fox2now.com/news/nationwo...0,502456.story

As a candidate, Ron Johnson of Wisconsin — who defeated longtime Sen. Russell D. Feingold — blasted his opponent for being too close to a union lobbyist. But after winning the Senate seat, Johnson appointed a former lobbyist, Don Kent, as his chief of staff. Since 2008, Kent has worked as a registered lobbyist for Navigators Global LLC. His clients included Tyco International, United Parcel Service and CSX Transportation. Johnson's office did not respond to a call for comment.

One tea party favorite, Sen.-elect Mike Lee of Utah, hired lobbyist Spencer Stokes as his chief of staff. Lee explained that he and Stokes, who represented software and healthcare interests, shared the goal of more "limited federal government" in the future.

"He is a brilliant man," Lee told "Fox News Sunday" this week. "He understands Utah politics and he understands Washington politics. And I need a man like that to help me in Washington."

That explanation won't fly with some, particularly the more activist members of the tea party movement who blame Washington insiders for the growth of government.

"It's a huge red flag," said Everett Wilkinson, a tea party activist in Florida. "I have been disappointed by several congressmen who are hiring so-called 'experienced staff.' To me, that's a telling sign that we have a pretty huge battle ahead of us. The good ol' boy Washington is alive and kicking. We know that."