HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - new englander
Thread: new englander
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2011, 06:41 PM
Landngroove
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by mnprohunter
thank you all very much for the information and it was most helpful and very good reading.
i wonder, what is the best method to clean this gun? do the barrels come off for cleaning? I am buying through a good source via pics only and have never held one in person, hence my question.
Would ffg blackpowder subsitues work just as well as say goex black powder? Thanks again for all the help and advice.
How I clean mine: Assure ML is not loaded. Remove ramrod. Put hammer on half ****. Tap out, and pull wedge pin. Now the barrel will seperate from the stock. Submerge the breach end in a bucket of warm to hot water, with some dish soap added. Using a jag, and cleaning patch on your ramrod pump water thru the barrel. After a few strokes, remove the nipple, and continue pumping water thru the barrel. when you are satified, rinse the barrel, assure that the nipple area is clean, rinse the nipple, and use dry patches and cloths to dry the barrel. Once it is dry I like to run patches soaked with Hoppes # 9 thru, to get any remaing residue. Then run a dry patch thru, followed by a bore preservitive of your choice. Finish by cleaning, and oiling, metal sufaces. (especially the hammer) I use Goex Black Powder in all my sidelocks. Best performance. If I could not Goex for some reason, my next choice would be Pyrodex. I say this having tried most popular muzzleloading powders.