HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Father & Son looking for ELK hunting Advice
Old 12-31-2010, 02:56 PM
Blink
Spike

Default Father & Son looking for ELK hunting Advice

First off, thanks for taking the time to read my post. My son (14) and I are looking to head out west this next fall in pursuit of ELK in CO or any western state for DIY. I went on a guided hunt about 15-years ago with a guide (archery) in Idaho and after 6-days finally shot a bull. So I have limited elk hunting knowledge. Now that my son is of age and we have been practicing, practicing, practicing... Archery we are ready as a team to head out and try our luck.

We would like to spike it out somewhere so we can hunt right from our tent in the morning. Willing to pack in within reason to get us into game. Not looking for trophy elk but trying to at least see some and have a shot (so quantity over quality). I want a good experience for my son and I, we are willing to work hard but not climb Mt. Everest. Prefer to be by ourselves as much as possible and not a bunch of other hunters...main reason why we are going archery. A tag that is easy to get is also a benefit since I will have to take time from work well in advance.

Love Colorado but open to any Western state if you think it is better considering my situation. Any help, tips, resources, UNIT, I would greatly appreciate. I have one friend who rifle hunts (unit 35-Colorado) and said he can show me where to go in there. However, he has never archery hunted it. Worth it? Thank you very much!