HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - hanging deer
Thread: hanging deer
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2010, 05:00 AM
Scottdnramember
Fork Horn

Personally I dond't "hang" it at all. A properly dressed animal will have all of the blood and fluids removed from it anyway other than what I think is supposed to be in the meat anyway. The flavor of meat is the dependant on the blood to a point. (I know it sounds kind of sick, but ask a chef about it.) I alsmost always soak the meat overnight in a big sink of cold water with a little salt. Many times the important cuts (to me) inner loins and backstraps) are frozen that night without a lot of soaking. Soaking the rest helps me the next day to clean as much of the fat and yucky stuff membrane off of what is left as I prepare it for the grinder or to put up a rump roast or two.Another reason I'm not real big on hanging is bugs. I don't have a walk in freezer/cooler and I have not done enough research on aging meat to be comfortable with the process. It's on my "to do" list. So far I am very happy with the results and we use venison here for a lot! It is a primary source of our meat, though not the only one.