HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 700 trigger "unsafe"? Accu trigger "safe"?
Old 12-29-2010, 01:39 PM
DeerandbearhoG
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
The poster of the video is mistaken about the function of the accu-trigger.

The blade DOES NOT prevent the trigger from being pulled. The blade of the accu-trigger, aka "Accu-release", prevents the sear from fully breaking upon accidental trigger pull, dropping, or jarring. The video shows the Savage Trigger functioning properly. The trigger CAN be pulled even without pulling the blade. However, what the video does NOT show is that the rifle would NOT have actually fired. The energetic "clack" is the sear breaking from the trigger, but slamming into the accu-release stop.

The disadvantage is that if the sear DOES slip from the trigger to the sear-stop, then the bolt must be opened and closed again to transfer it back to the trigger, otherwise the rifle will fire when the blade is depressed (without the trigger being pulled). However, a shooter familiar with his rifle will feel a GREATLY higher blade pull than usual, and should recognize the problem.

From what I understand, the Remington SAFETY works just like the Savage Accu-release. The Remington safety is a trigger stop as well as sear-stop. However, if the trigger is tuned low, and the rifle is jarred to the point the sear slips from the trigger to the safety sear stop, when the safety is dis-engaged, the sear will fully break (just like the savage rifle will if the trigger has been depressed THEN the blade is pulled).

So essentially, the Savage has an additional safety feature above the Remington, and it also is EASIER to tell if the dangerous "slipped trigger" condition is present (heavy blade pull vs. essentially normal safety resistance). To fail, the remington must be dropped, then the safety released, while the Savage must be dropped, the safety released, and the BLADE pulled (which would only be done when the rifle was on target anyway).

I love both rifles, and believe both to be incredibly safe. But in the name of safety, I make a point to recycle the bolt and test the trigger if I ever do jar my rifle, regardless of brand. But YES, I do believe the Savage to be a safer trigger (and a finer trigger to boot)...
Ok 1st I just want to clarify that I actually posted the video and those are my rifles.

OK so what youre saying is, even though it appears the firing pin has been released, it is actually just the sear itself, and the pin does not move forward?

Wow, I guess I am wrong to have posted this. I just assumed the firing pin was moving forward aswell. I could have sworn the other accutrigger rifles I owned, would not allow the trigger to be pulled if the blade was not depressed, but I guess I was wrong.

Thanks for the info. I will remove the video, but 1st I wanna go home and see what happens if I put a 209 primer in it (muzzleloader and no its not loaded).