HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Eat up with spikes this year!
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2010, 06:24 PM
Kerrdog
Spike

Several years ago I worked on a large ranch (40,000 acres) in so Florida. We had a Whitetail program in conjunction with the state. The program included food plots and mineral feeders all over the ranch. It was divided into transects, and we counted deer during the season. Through this program we determined how many needed to be harvested. We maintained records including age (from removing jaw bones), KPH fat, pregnant does (including sexing the fetus and how many twins), weight, etc. During the many years I worked for this outfit I learned a great deal about Florida Whitetails. But certainly not everything! By aging we discovered most deer harvested were an average of 3 years. Occasionally we came across a 5 year old, and that deer was considered old and declining. We believed a 7 year old deer was very rare, and most likely Bobcat fodder. Besides nutriton, genetics plays a big part in bone structure/antler development. I live in an agricultural community where there is abundant food for deer year 'round. It has always been my thought/experience, based upon so many years ago, that if a buck did not have forked antlers its first year you didn't want it breeding the does. Of course, you are going for "trophy" deer with that program, and you have to have the cooperation of other hunters. I considered it the norm! I appreciate your viewpoints. I will let them walk for a couple years and see what we get.

I hunt ONLY legally. I kill does when possible during our doe WEEK. Yes, we have only one week out of the year, and hopefully you see one... this year I did not. I don't care about mounts any longer... I have mine, although I would still like a shot at a GREAT buck.

Thanks for the input.

Kerrdog