HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Another compound crossover shooter Q....
Old 10-01-2003, 04:44 PM
Arthur P
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Another compound crossover shooter Q....

First, congratulations on your interest in shooting plain ol' sticks.

Most people are more comfortable starting off with a stick that draws 15-20 pounds less than their compounds, so your target of 40-45 should be right on. However, you will likely draw an inch or so shorter with a stick, so you might want to look at getting a 50 pounds @ 28" bow. At 26" draw, that would put you around 45 pounds.

At your draw length, I would pass on the longbows. They are really too long for your draw length. You won' t be putting enough bend in the limbs to really get the performance out of them. Not quite so bad but pretty much the same story on the 62" Martin Hunter. Of the bows you listed, I would recommend the Grizzly as the best match for your draw length. Another Bear I would check out if I were in your shoes is the Kodiak Magnum.

Shorter longbows are available on the custom side of the business. Before you go too wild, check the used bow market for Shrews and other longbows that are 62" and shorter.

Matching bow length to draw length is important across the entire span of archery, but it' s much more critical in traditional bows, IMO. I' m on the other end of the table from you. I' ve got a very long draw length and need a pretty long bow.

When it comes down to either recurve or longbow being easier than the other to shoot, that is very much an individual thing. Some guys take to longbows like ducks to water. Used to be that grip styles were very similar between compounds and recurves. That was something that made the switch from wheels to recurves easier.

However, many compounds today have grips that are much more similar to the locator grip on reflex/deflex longbows than the pistol grip on recurves, and they are shot in the same low wrist style. So, going by the handle style, the switch from compound to longbow would be easier nowadays.

But, the extra mass in recurve risers make them more stable and, I think, more consistently accurate than longbows. At least that' s the way they are in MY hands.

Good luck with the new journey. Enjoy!!