HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - reepers or rage
Thread: reepers or rage
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2010, 12:44 AM
Todd1700
Nontypical Buck

I have no troubles tuning fixed blade broad heads to group with field tips. But grouping with field tips is not interchangeable with the term "field tip accurate". Mech heads are "field tip accurate". In my front yard, shooting from the ground at my targets where perfect form is easy to maintain the extra forgiveness and accuracy of a field tip accurate head is of minimal importance. But 30 ft up a tree kneeling down and leaning out to get a clear shot at a buck behind my tree it comes in handy sometimes to be shooting a head less affected by torque, wind or glitches in perfect form. I am extremely anal about accuracy. And with good reason. Accuracy kills.

Also my Grim Reapers make a bigger hole through deer. If you have the energy to burn, why waste it burying a fixed head deeper in the ground on the other side of a deer? Why not use it to cut a bigger hole? It's not always an absolute but a bigger hole tends to leave a better blood trail. Maybe blood trails aren't that big a deal if you are hunting open fields in Kansas, but hunting the edges of Alabama brier thickets it's sure nice to have an easy to follow trail.

People always tout the virtues of a fixed head if you hit a deer in the shoulder bone. And I will concede that some fixed heads "might" have a better chance at getting through a shoulder blade, although it's no certainty. But what about a hit that's a little too far back instead of too far forward. Isn't that just as likely? A large diameter expandable does more damage and is more likely to slice or nick something important that would put a deer down faster in that scenario. A fact that evens out the potential shoulder blade defeating qualities of a fixed head.

Again, both fixed and mechs have their strengths and weaknesses. I've killed many deer with both.

Last edited by Todd1700; 12-21-2010 at 12:48 AM.