HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Adrenaline Rush??????
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2010, 10:19 AM
muleyman
Spike

Originally Posted by farm hunter
Definitely more with bow - pretty much as soon as I realize its a shot opprutunity. I've bowhunted 25 years - and literally only the last few years have I been able to control my nerves consistantly. After the shot with a bow - I'm pretty shook, I just cannot help it. At least I've learned to focus its effects after the shot.

With a gun - I usually go into auto-pilot. I don't know a better way to describe it. Growing up - I shot guns a lot - more than anyone I know growing up today. All those years of shooting (open sights, pass shooting, scopes, etc) - when I decide to shoot - I couldn't be more calm - Everything goes into slow motion - and a 150 yd freehand shot feels more like a shot at 20 yds with a solid rest. Everything slows down. I can't explain it better than that. I do definitely get an adrenaline rush - but its different than with a bow. Even after the shot - I'm pumped but not shook, not at all.
That is almost exactly how it happens for me too. My dad and I have shot ALOT since I was very very young, so it is nearly automatic for me when I have a gun in my hand. The rush comes after the shot, generally when I am walking up to the animal. With my bow I do everything still hunting or spot and stalk. I am pretty much jacked all of the time, but more like on high alert rather than an adrenaline rush. My hearing gets better, my vision is better at picking up movement, and I feel far more graceful than my 6'7" would normally let me be. Sometimes though I do get the rush before the shot. The deer in my avatar pic was a specific deer that I had been looking for, and when I found him I had to set and watch him for a few minutes to get my breathing under control and become Mr. Automatic again. First real case of buck fever that I have had. But like I said, the rush comes while retrieving the animal and thanking the good Lord all the way for the opportunity to feed my family and for the wonderful experience!