HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New to muzzleloading with ?
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2010, 06:52 PM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Well personally, I don't like a BDC but if I had to use one, then it would be the Nikon Omega. As for you not needing the 200 & 250 marks, well that is not a big deal. Just use the ones you need.

Actually if you shoot 100 grains of powder and still want to use a BDC nothing is written that the second cross hair has to be 150 and the third 200, etc... What if the first main cross hair was 75 yards, the second was 122 yards, the third was 168 yards and the next was say 202? If you knew that, you would know what line to use. All you need to know is the range to the target. Most game animals do not walk out at exactly 100, 150, 200, etc. So why does your scope and load have to follow that?

For instance, one day I was shoot (a good group too) a white paper dinner plate at 150 yards. The scope was a 1.5-4.5x32mm scope. No BDC, in fact it was a $69.00 scope. I learned that using the fat part of the bottom post, and setting that at the top of the plate, the bullets hit the center of the plate. I sight my rifles in very close.

One of my favorite scopes is a Nikon Pro Staff 2-7x32mm and they do make that in a 3-9x40mm with and without a BDC.