HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - .300 Mag VS. .308
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2010, 05:07 PM
Mojotex
Nontypical Buck

You probably have all the info you need by now .... but .... I have both. Truly there is no comparison, except that they are both the same caliber.

In my opinion, the 300 Win. Mag. is an excellent choice for a 1-rifle selection, but way beyond what is necessary for deer sized game. It'll handle 150-220 gr. bullets well, with my personal favorite in the 180-200 grain size. I have used mine on white tails and mule deer ... with shot opportunities out to about 425 yards. Not a problem.

The 308 Win. is my No.1 hunting cartridge by choice. I use a 165 gr. bullet. Usually a Sierra Game King or Nosler Partition. Heavier bullets such as 180-200 br. take up case space, and in my opinion lend to less optimum performance. I have used it on feral hogs, mule deer, coyotes and white tail, with shot opportunities from near point blank out to 350-375 yards. I have had zero problems with clean, quick kills. It is primarily about placement anyway.

I have seen recoil charts but forget where or the details. The 300 Win. Mag., pushing a 200 gr. bullet an nominal muzzle velocities seems to me to be about 2X the recoil of a 308 Win. likewise pushing a 165 gr. bullet.